What to do when you have a "Clean Water Damage"
What to do/ What Not to do
What to Do:
- Shut off the source of water if possible, or contact a qualified plumbing technician to stop the water source.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building when access to the power distribution panel is safe from electrical shock.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpet.
- Remove to a safe, dry place any paintings, art objects, computers, documents, and other materials that are valuable or sensitive to moisture.
- Pin up upholstered furniture skirting to keep off damp floors.
- Hang draperies with coated hangers to avoid contact with carpeting or floors.
- Hang furs and leather goods to dry separately at room temperature.
What Not To Do:
- Do not enter rooms with standing water where electrical shock hazards may exist.
- Do not enter effected areas if electrical outlets, switches, circuit breakers, or electrical equipment are exposed to water. Always avoid electrical shock hazards.
- Do not leave books, newspapers, magazines, or other colored items that may cause staining on wet carpet or floors.
- Do not use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water, possibly causing electrical shock or damaging the vacuum cleaner.
- Do not use TV's or other appliances while standing on wet carpets or floors, especially not on wet concrete floors.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixture if ceiling is wet or enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.