Bathroom Mold Prevention Tips
Bathrooms will typically have higher humidity levels than anywhere else in your home. Regular showering and daily use provides the opportunity for mold to begin growing on drywall, baseboards, trim, and even contents. Painting and caulking over mold is time consuming and will not actually solve the problem, but rather put off a problem that will eventually worsen. The best course of action is prevention. Here are some tips to keep humidity levels low and prevent mold growth from ever occurring:
- Use your ventilation fans! This is exactly what they are made for. Leave them on for at least 10 minutes after each shower. If you do not have a fan, place a dehumidifier and try to keep the humidity level below 60%.
- Leave bathroom doors open to allow for additional ventilation.
- If you have glass shower doors, use a small squeegee to remove excess moisture from the glass.
- Keep contents to a minimum. Bottles, children's toys, and other contents can collect water and hide microbial growth. Be sure to clean the contents every time you clean your shower.
- Repair leaking faucets and shower heads immediately to prevent standing water.
- Purchase a mold resistant shower curtain liner.
- Regularly check for microbial growth or moisture under sinks, behind toilets, and along baseboards in order to address problems as soon as possible.
If you have identified potential mold growth in your bathroom, call SERVPRO North Huntsville at (256) 534-1177 to schedule an inspection!