Preparing for Winter Weather
Despite the unprecedented challenges that have arisen in the year 2020, time seems to have flown by. October is almost over, and before you know it, it will be the Christmas season. With this in mind, SERVPRO of North Huntsville would like to offer a few suggestions to help you prepare your home for the upcoming season.
1. Invest in weather stripping. This is very inexpensive, but will help keep the warm air in and the cold air out.
2. Clean your gutters. Blocked gutters will be slower to drain and can cause water/ice build up resulting in ice dams. Ice dams can cause a significant amount of water damage to a structure.
3. Evaluate your roof to prevent ice dams.
4. Test your heating and air conditioning system.
5. Prune trees around the house.
6. Stock up on emergency supplies in case winter weather prevents travel.
7. Protect pipes from freezing. Broken pipes are the leading cause of water damage through the winter.
8. If you have a wood burning stove or fire place, have the chimney inspected and cleaned. Make sure your smoke detectors are functioning.
9. Check for cold air leaks and install weather-stripping around exterior doors.
For all of your restoration needs, call SERVPRO of North Huntsville at (256) 534-1177!